Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I was pulling into my driveway yesterday, when my neighbor called me. 'Hi Jeremy - just calling to let you know that you have a letter in your front door.' I always enter my place via the garage, so my neighbors are kind enough to alert me when I have something at the front door. As I walked over to my front door, curiousity took over my mind. Who could it be? My mind thought through the possibilities: a campaigning politician, religious preachers, a food pantry? I was not ready for what I found. I took the paper out of the door, and examined the scrawled message. Aghast in terror, electrical pulses were racing across my synapses - who would do such a thing? On one level, it was so wrong. On another level, there's an entreprenuer at work and she happened to target me as a vital component of her supply chain.

Below is evidence of the sales pitch - personal information has been erased to protect the innocent.

First of all - this little girl must be desperate to sell cookies. Is her mother urging her to be the top seller, in order to gain favor & envy from the other girl scouts? Is she trying to break everyone's New Years resolutions to loose weight - only to laugh that them after they've eaten their cookies? Could this be Donald Trump's estranged daughter? The possibilities are endless, and I will never know....until I call the phone number that was left on the infamous letter. Who would allow their child to leave a home phone number where they can be reached? I'm curious as to whether this family has purchased a second phone line to help facilitate the selling of cookies. Perhaps the phone number is their normal phone, and they don't mind cooking-lusting psychoes calling at anytime of the day.

This selling strategy opens the doors to reach a broader audience. I instantly took this to the extreme - I was interested whether people were selling these cookies online. After all, the internet could facilitate a wide & relatively easy distribution network. The official girl scout website prohibits the selling of cookies over the internet. However...it doesn't say anything about being an unauthorized reseller of girl scout cookies. If I was able to amass a stockpile of cookies, I could theoritically sell the cookies on eBay after the cookie-selling season is over. People would pay premium prices to get their hands on a box of their favorite mint patties or caramel delights.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious - I'll join the underground cookie service. It'd be lucrative, very lucrative - they are addicting cookies. I think the mint chip cookies have added nicotine in them which create the addiction.

Now that I think of it I bet this little girl is a victim of the girl scouts! She's been manipulated into eating so many cookies she is forever addicted and is selling (AKA pushing) these "delicious cookies" to feed her own addiction.