Wednesday, June 04, 2008


I just finished watching a documentary entitled Air Guitar Nation. You're probably wondering:

A) why are you watching this?
B) someone made a film about playing the air guitar?

while some others are thinking
C) what the hell is an air guitar?

A: I rented this from Netflix because it sounded hilarious. The weather was bad today, so I watched it while I exercised.

B: Yes - I never knew you could make an interesting film that lasts for 120 minutes, based on people that are pretending to play the guitar.

C: People compete to determine who is the best at pretending to play a guitar to music. Each contestant chooses one song, and then all of the contestants have to 'play' a song that they haven't practiced. A world air guitar championship is held in Finland once per year, starting in 1996. Winners from many countries (Belguim, UK, Netherlands, New Zealand, Australia, US, etc) compete at the world championships.

When I started watching the film, I was ready for everything to be hilarious & filled with comedy. By the end of the film, I found myself critiquing the contests air guitar skills! I haven't gained a single brain cell, but at least the film was entertaining. It also illustrates that there is something that every person can do well - you just need to find your niche.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have one word.

Ridiculous.